Friday, June 13, 2008

LET'S GET READY TO RAMBLE......

Hello all! For those of you who already know, and for those of you who don’t, I LOVE SPORTS! I love them. Seriously, love them! I didn’t grow up in a home with a father who loved sports, so I can only conclude that I have it in my genes. (Which Korean genes make me love American sports I’m not sure, but just go with me on this one ok?) I have loved sports ever since I can remember. In 1992 I was 6 years old. I watched the NCAA Men’s National Championship. The entire thing. As a six year old! Not because my dad or older brother was, but just because I was entranced by it. Been a Duke fan ever since.

I love football: the smell of freshly mowed grass in the fall, the sound of brown crunchy leaves under cleats, and the cold breeze that blows through your soul when your team is down by 6 with 0:32 to go and a “Hail Mary” is in the air. I love baseball: the silence as a ball sails through the air with bases loaded in the 9th inning, sons with their fathers praying to the Great Bambino that they will catch a foul and win their father’s undying affection for the day, and the lights heating up as dusk falls upon the field. I love golf: Sergio Garcia closing his eyes, swinging, and then running down the fairway to catch a glimpse of his fate, Tiger’s fist pumps, and Jesper Parnevik’s wardrobe. I love tennis: Sampras v. Agassi, names no one can pronounce, and the fact that having nothing is called “love”. I even love sports media: Pardon the Interruption with Kornheiser’s ridiculous antics, Dike Vitale’s catch-phrases like “diaper dandy” and “dipsy-do dunk-a-roo”, and Bill Simmons love-hate relationship with Doc Rivers that changes more than the weather this spring in Utah.

If sports are my love then it’s safe to say that basketball is my husband. Like I said, I began loving basketball at the age of 6. Not an extraordinary feat for most little boys or girls with hardcore dads. But I just loved it. I have hundreds of hours of Duke games on tape. I know more about college basketball than most avid fans. Seriously. My mom used to make me wear gloves during the games because I would get so nervous and bite my fingernails until I would bleed. Real blood. One time when I was about 10 or 11 I had the actual thought occur to me that it would be a brilliant idea to somehow make myself develop cancer so that I could be a “Make a Wish” kid and go to Cameron Indoor for a Duke v. UNC game. I’m not joking.

I have said numerous times that if I could only do one thing for the rest of my life it would be to watch and write about sports. I’ve been so excited about starting THE SHOT CLOCK CHRONICLES that I can’t sleep. I’m pretty sure there’s more to life than being really, really, really, ridiculously good at sports writing, and I intend to find out what that is………..

But until then I hope you enjoy this blog! I’ve invited 3 fellow sports fanatics to ramble with me. Luke Jr.(my brother-in-law), Rhett(my husband’s best friend), and of course, my husband himself, Rylee. I plan to shortly write an article about the freakin’ awesome Game 4 of the NBA Finals, but until then- watch Sportscenter, hit a bucket of balls, and love the game. LET’S GET READY TO RAMBLE!!!

1 comments:

randytsimmons said...

Now if we could just convince you that Yankee worship is so much better than Duke worship and that Mike Krzyzewski is really Satan.